Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's so simple

I've heard many people say that ultimate is boring to watch. Actually scrap that, I've heard many ultimate players say that ultimate is boring to watch. I've never heard a non-player say that. Of course it's boring to watch when you'd rather be playing. But there's an oh-so-simple explanation of why that perception exists among the frisbee fraternity.

You are not emotionally invested in the outcome of the game.

Or, in layman's terms, you're not barracking for anyone.

Every sport on the face of this planet is shit to watch if you don't care who wins. Think about the number of footyheads who pay out on soccer for the 3 years and 11 months that the World Cup isn't on. Think about how much more interesting equestrian at the Olympics becomes when there's an Australian within striking distance of a gold medal. Think about how you never cared about boxing until there was an opportunity to see Anthony Mundine getting repeatedly punched in the face by Danny Green.

If you are barracking for either side, any sporting contest becomes much more interesting. If you are watching the final in a tournament you got knocked out of a few hours earlier, of course you're not going to give a shit who wins - it's not your team.

I'm planning on going to Nationals next year. Not as a player, but as a spectator/journalist. I'll be picking someone to barrack for and I bet I'll find the final more exciting than anyone who is not in it.


Also, I've spent the better part of the afternoon reading the archives of Thoughts, Matt Mackey's blog. I think you should read it too.

No comments: