Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fun times on the aus-ultimate email list

Yesterday, Jay Dowling sent an email out to the aus-ultimate list about his thoughts on the matter of nicknames...

"Hello,

Since I have started playing ultimate I have noticed that players are often referred to with nicknames on websites and in emails. This is fine as long as everyone knows each other, but can be quite frustrating to anyone who doesn't.

More to the point though, I think that to new players it can present a closed, social group of players. This could not be further from the truth, as it is more likely an extension of the inclusive nature of Ultimate Frisbee. However I doubt this is obvious to new players.

For example, having a 'Huy v Catherine Coope' section on the SA Ultimate website may not be the most inclusive feature of a website. Nor the most professional. Apologies to Huy and Cath for singling them out. It's just an example.

This email is not a criticism of anyone, rather it is just a personal view from previous experience.

Jay"

Fair enough point. However, I logged on this morning to this rebuttal from Piers...

"Hey Jay (is that your real name…..)

I was up here in Queensland talking with the fire storm boys (Wetnose, Cheese, Space Needle, Jangles, Jayray, Mica, Junior and Al) and they didn’t think that there is anything to your claim. Feeling like I should explore this fully I made a few calls. Joelly didn’t answer, but I guess he is in France. Temple is now going under another name at work. Robocop thought you were wrong and told me to talk to Fergie and LTB about it. LTB naturally had an opinion, but he had spoken to Tats, Sturty, Aunty Doctor Sarah and Pennoes before I got through to him. Cupcake had no comment. In Canberra Bruiser, Crazy, Lazy (well that was a long distance call), Chumpy and the other 3 dwarves were outraged to think that ultimate was in anyway cliquey. Mad Dog just barked and suggested that I should not call Crusher or his sister Kicker because Wollongong people make no sense anyway. Crusher was drunk, so I thought I would get better sense from Melbourne and called (in order) Hussy, Wood, Timmers, Booboo, Shhhhebbbbo, Barrie, Wisey, O-Shep, Nat, Cat, (a bat), DK, Drool, Rockbeat, Smithers, Carol, Spesh, KP, the Kleminator, Timill and Bong. They could not see what the fuss was about. Cupcake still had not comment. Tiger said that Tiger was his real name. Go figure.

In short I think you might have got it wrong Jeremy. But you could always ask g-Banger, Bra, G-man, Badman (it’s true), Mama, Holmsie, The seagull, Blondie, Princess, Maymay or Breebell. Better yet put it in writing to the AFDA board. It would be appropriate to write to Pissy, JdR, Bad Mother Footer (Of the Denver BMF mobile – that was an adventureJ ) or better yet our AFDA CEO Pottsy.

Do you know the secret handshake Jeremy?

piers truter"

Well Piers, if you read this, I did a bit of an ask around of the Ballarat crew. Sizzle, Doobie, Heimy, Nessie, Monstar, Gretski, Cass, Dildo, Fletch, Della, Suckstobe, Zipper, Benefit, both of Karibony, Sezzy and Spanka all didn't see a problem either.

When I asked Emma she just looked at me and said "Huh?"

No comments: