Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Clubs names in ultimate

I talk about ultimate a lot with ultimate friends, but I also talk about ultimate to other folk as well. I'm easily able to explain a lot of things about the sport...how it works, why we have no refs, and "spirit awards" ("Award voted on by everyone given to the most respected team in terms of following the rules and not being a dick.") Sometimes I change certain things to 'dumb it down a bit' - for example, I refer to Albert Park League as 'state league' (also kinda justifies driving down to Melbourne every Monday). But after four years there's something I still can't explain to outsiders.

Team names.

When I started training with Chilly a few weeks ago, I was telling a guy at work that I'm trying out with "a Melbourne mens' team that have won the last three Nationals." When he asked me what they were called, I said "erm...Chilly." And it's not the first time I've done this (Team Gary!).

When you're talking about National championship teams, people generally expect to hear a geographical attachment to the team (ie: Melbourne ______). So when you tell them you play with "Chilly", they wonder how that's any different to their mixed indoor cricket team called "Rampage Deathsquad" or their pub trivia team called "Neil Diamond Phillips".

I remember NUFL 2005 being on ABC news, and they referred to the 'colourful' team names such as Deathstar and Southside. OK, unique aspect of the game etc. but what about if we want to be taken seriously as a competitive sport by sponsors, media and government? They would want to be able to identify a team with where they are from, plus a snappy little brand name to appeal to the folks spending the money.

Having a look at previous Nationals results, there are only a couple of team names that could pass (Fyshwick United, Ngukkur Eagles). There's also been teams simply named after where they are from (Wollongong, Newcastle). However there have been quite a few names that could easily be adjusted.

Warning: the following are hypothetical ramblings for my own amusement and in no way should be taken as my opinion as an AFDA director blah blah blah general disclaimer stuff.

If I was taking off my "ultimate player" and "ultimate administrator" hats, and putting on my "marketing genius" hat and was looking to pay for a team's airfares to Regionals and Nationals in exchange for wearing my company's logo and doing a promotional demo or three, here are my suggestions on what the current crop of Nationals teams could do for their branding...

Note: A "______" indicates I can't think of a nickname
  • Firestorm - "Brisbane Firestorm"
  • BUD - "Byron ______"
  • Thor - "Townsville _______"
  • Brisbane Barbarians - is ok.
  • Minx - "Brisbane Minx" could work
  • Sultry - hmmm....not quite 100% family friendly
  • Karma - "Adelaide Karma" has a nice ring to it
  • Heads of State - "Melbourne/Victoria Heads of State" doesn't roll off the tongue....Melbourne Monarchs?
  • Chilly - "Melbourne Chilli" (correct spelling here kids)
  • Ultimate Evolution - "Adelaide Evolution" (North Adelaide?)
  • Honey - "Melbourne Honey"
  • Bush - "Tasmania Bush" or "Hobart Bush"...too many jokes to make here
  • Indies - "Adelaide Indies"...no idea what the mascot would dress as
  • Team Box - ....no idea
  • Hills - they've use Mobsters in the past, but is Hills an official district of Sydney or just a name used by locals?
  • Barefoot - North Sydney?
  • Fyshwick United - Fyshwick is a Canberra suburb
  • Wollongong - "Wollongong ______"
  • I-Beam - "Newcastle ______"
  • Fakulti - "Sydney Faculty?"....jury is still out
  • Wildcard - "Sydney Wildcard" works
  • Southside - "South Sydney ____"
  • Sugar Magnolias - is a Sugar Magnolia a real thing? "Newcastle Magnolias" perhaps?
  • Factory Girls - hmm....the ACT reference is there....
Anyone else got some better ideas?

No comments: