Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Second Generation

Growing up as youngsters, many of us played junior sports because of either a) the blokes we saw on telly made it look awesome, or b) our mums or dads played it. I know I got into basketball because my dad played it (and I was freakishly tall for my age) and I'm sure there are many others that are the same.

Ultimate has only really been played in Australia for 15-20 years, as opposed to the US where it has been strong since the 1970s. They are now starting to see kids coming through whose parents played, so they have been around discs since a young age. Most of us first learned to throw in our late teens or early 20s.

Soon, Australia will get our "second generation" - kids in their mid to late teens with mad throws and a basic knowledge of the game. As they filter through schools and unis, the quality of youth and uni play will improve, followed by the club scene, then the Worlds scene.

Ok, so this is at least 10 years away, but I'm posting this now so I can say, "I predicted this years ago!"

2 comments:

JdR said...

But wait for the generational battle to come.

I thought it might happen this year in the leadup to WUCG2008, given the growth of the youth scene in the last four years. But too early yet I guess?

There's a lot of 30somethings running around in Ultimate in Australia, thinking they are the shit. They've got good knowledge, got all the throws, and are reasonably fit. And they're running the show - they're the LDs, TDs, Selectors, Committee members etc.

But very soon the sub-23s are going to have been playing for several years, and they'll have all the throws and experience they need, and they'll be fitter and leaner .... and demanding the oldies get out of their way!

(On the other hand, its the older folks that have the financial resources to travel, and the experience to administer more effectively.)

More gross generalisations and group stereotyping from me, I know

Tiger said...

I think the second generation is a tiny bit further away than you think.

As a bit of a general rule, parenthood takes the parent out of the Ultimate scene, and the parents of prospective Ultimate superstars - think Matt Oswald and Nikki Shires's kid - are going to force their children to play golf, which actually earns money as opposed to taking it away from you.

Ultimate's real second generation will come once we have proper high school and pre-high school development programs.

You never know, 10 years could be the go, but I'm going to say 15 - wait for MY children.

Simmo, come 2023, you owe me a beer.

T.